Carrying out garage door replacement before you sell your house is one of the best signals you can send to potential buyers that your house is well cared for. According to the 2016 Cost vs. Value survey done annually by Remodeling Magazine, replacing your garage door yields the highest rate of return of any update you can make on your property. Whether you do a moderate or an upscale replacement, you will recoup over 90% of your money.
Why Garage Door Replacement Appeals to Buyers
The reasoning is clear. Before a buyer sets foot in your home, they look at the outside to gauge a first impression. When coupled with the appearance of siding, landscaping, other outdoor features, and general neatness that adds to the appeal of the exterior, your garage door, which occupies about 30% of the frontage of an average home, plays a big role in building interest about your property.
Mid-Range vs. Upscale Improvements
The survey distinguishes between a moderate upgrade that costs about $1,652 or an upscale one that costs $2,840.
Both upgrades include:
- Removal and disposal of existing 16×7-foot garage door and tracks
- Installation of a new 4-section garage door on new galvanized steel tracks and galvanized steel hinges
- Reusing the existing motorized opener
- The moderate upgrade will include:
- Installation of a new uninsulated, single-layer, embossed steel door with two coats of baked-on paint
- Nylon rollers on the track
- 10-year limited warranty.
The upscale upgrade will include:
- Heavy-duty tracks on the door
- High tensile strength steel with two coats of factory-applied paint
- Foam insulation to minimum R-12
- Thermal seals between pinch-resistant panels
- ½-inch insulated glass windows in top panel
- Ball bearing urethane rollers
- Lifetime warranty
Getting Maximum Value From Your Update
While the moderate upgrade will return $1,512 or 91.5% of the outlay, the return is slightly less than in 2015 when the payback was 96.1%. The upscale improvement will pay back $2,830 or 90.1%, a dramatic increase from 2015, when the rate of pay back was only 74.5%.
Although the type of upgrade that you do depends on the housing values in your neighborhood, as well as on the standard features of homes there, the figures indicate that buyers see the value in insulation, windows, pinch resistant panels, and upscale hardware.
What these figures tell you is that you when you are upgrading your garage door, you cannot go wrong by investing in the extras buyers want which improve durability, function, and appearance, while potentially cutting heating bills.
When you are looking for garage door replacement that will give your home the extra curb appeal you want, while offering genuine value to the next occupants of your home, call the Garage Door Man today. Their professional team will show you beautiful, energy-efficient garage door replacement options that will make your home stand out from the crowd.