Garages are one of the most overlooked areas when it comes to spring cleaning, and they end up being the dumping grounds for both junk and valuable items.
Learn about the negative impact of a messy garage.
The Negative Effects of a Cluttered Garage
Although you may think your garage isn’t as important as the other rooms in your house, you should clean it regularly to keep your family safe. If the clutter is taller than you, there’s a chance it may fall over you. Worst of all, stacks of newspapers, magazines, and wood are flammable so that a small spark can turn into a massive fire in seconds.
Discover the benefits of keeping your garage in pristine condition.
Say Goodbye To Pests
Bugs take refuge in your garage because they can sneak around cardboard boxes and piles of dirty laundry. Rats and field mice can make themselves at home in your garage, and they may eat your pet’s food. Your curious child may even confuse a rodent for a toy! Cleaning and maintaining your garage can eliminate pest problems and prevent them from happening.
Here’s how to make your space pest-proof:
- Sweep your garage floor every week.
- Insects thrive in moist environments, so look for moisture spots and dry them with a fan.
- Prevent pest invasion by blocking your garage’s entry points. Seal cracks in your foundation, walls, and ceiling using silicone caulk.
- Spray mild bug repellent on your garage’s door, windows, and walls.
Make Your Garage Appealing
When was the last time you showed off your garage? If you’re too embarrassed to open your garage door because you don’t want the rest of your neighborhood to judge, then you should probably make it aesthetically pleasing.
When you rid your garage of clutter, you gain a new room you can transform. Turn your garage into a:
- Guest room
- Band room
- Laundry room
The possibilities are endless! Best of all, repurposing your garage can help you discover a new hobby.
Clean Garages Promote Stress Reduction
How many times have you entered your garage only to walk out immediately because you can’t stand the mess? A filthy space can make your blood boil, and it may add unnecessary stress to your life. On the other hand, an organized one can make you feel peaceful, and it may inspire you to keep the rest of your house tidy.
Take a hard look at everything in your garage. Are there any items you no longer want or need? Separate your them into three piles:
- Things you wish to keep: Hold on to anything of value that you can’t replace.
- Items you want to sell: If you own something valuable, but you no longer use it, sell it at a garage sale for profit.
- Items you want to donate: If there are items you no longer want that don’t have much value, such as clothes or books, donate them. Only donate items in good condition.
Contact The Garage Door Man
Once you clean out your garage, you should inspect your garage door. If you need a garage door repair or are looking for a new one to spruce up your home’s exterior, The Garage Door Man is here to help. Contact us today for a fast, dependable garage door service you can trust!